Apache Cordova and PhoneGap: Past, Present, Future
Joe Bowser - firstname.lastname@example.org
Cross-Platform Mobile Development
Access to Device APIs by plugin
- Minimal set of supported APIs
- Large set of community APIs
- Can be found at plugins.cordova.io
Helps put your app in the store! (No guarantees)
The Story of Cordova...
"The goal of PhoneGap is to cease to exist"
Free and Open Source Since 2008
2008 - Beer Nerds <3 Mobile Web
iPhone SDK, Blackberry 4.2, & Android 1.0
2009 - iOS was the priority
Oh you do Android, why?!?
2010 - Getting Contributors
Big Blue and PhoneGap/Build.
2011 - Growing Pain
1.0, Adobe, and Apache.
2012 - CordovaWebView
2.0, and 1 million downloads.
2013 - Optionally Opinionated
3.0 w/ over 2 million downloads.
"The IE6 of Mobile Development"
Things outside our control:
- Rendering issues (Media queries)
- iFrame support breaking
- Support for Android Resources and Android Assets
- URI encoding bugs
- Browser History Bugs
- Text-Field Issues
History of this issue:
- Six years of errors
- Weird Android bugs with various frameworks
- Performance issues on Android
- Bugs left as "Won't Fix" without any options for the user
Third Party WebView
Use third party webviews your apps.
Installable via a plugin
plugman install crosswalk
DEMO TIME - Chrome Debugging
Warning: I might make fun of your phone! Sorry!
- Makes the app a lot bigger
- Instead of Android WebView bugs, you have third-party bugs
- Third-Party WebView may not start as fast as Android WebView
- This is solving minor problems with a sledgehammer
Having a sledgehammer is better than having no tool at all
Cordova on AndroidWear
- Just got working this morning
- AndroidWear doesn't have a WebView
- Thanks to this feature, we can bring our own
- Super experimental, surprised this worked!
- Now where Android is, we can be too.
- Exists today in the 4.0.x branch of Cordova
- Currently only has Crosswalk as a third-party webview
- Hope to have Mozilla GeckoView and others soon
- Warning: The API is changing rapidly. (Don't be afraid to give feedback)
- In 2014, the Web still isn't a first class platform on mobile
- Apache Cordova can make web apps first class citizens
- More tools are existing for hybrid apps
- Third Party Webviews are going to be awesome